Saturday, September 12, 2009

Mumbai University

The other day I was trying to locate my university degrees and transcripts and I realised that it was not in the box marked as important papers. Perhaps since no one ever asked for them in the last 25 years they are probably packed along with other papers in one of the large cartons, about 60 of them which contain books, folder boxes, papers etc.. Since I have only unpacked afew of them it is going to be a huge task hunting them.

So I thought why not try the University of Mumbai from where I have graduated. I thought it should be simple - give them the year I passed out and with my name they could trace my records and issue the duplicate certificates. Well I did go to he university. I spoke to some friends who are faculty there and they warned me that it would not be easy and that I should be ready to grease palms to get things moving - as a human rights activist something very difficult for me to do! Nevertheless I went to the Examination Building and after afew pillar to post searching reached the correct desk officer and was told - do I have a FIR from the police station, have I made an affidavit on a Rs. 50 non-judicial stamp paper? Well ofcourse I had not done that. And if I had done that then how long would it take? Well pop came up another question? Do you remember your exam seat number? They must be kidding - 1978 BA and 1980 MA and they wanted me to recall my seat number. I am no Shakuntala devi!

They suggested that I should contact the college and department to get that number and only then would it be possible and in case I was able to do that then it could take 3 to 6 months to process my application - I think it would be easier doing another MA to get the degree and marksheets! OOps I forgot I dont have my BA degree too so I would not be admitted to MA.

Well this is the state of the oldest and the most well known university of India - excellent place for historical research I guess! Anyway I think I have a greater chance of getting my certificates by unpacking the boxes and this time I will scan them and store them digitally.

No comments:

Post a Comment